Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Humor....It does a body good

Sometimes, you have to laugh just so you won't cry.  And sometimes you have to laugh while you are crying.  And sometimes, you just have to laugh.

Humor comes at the funniest times and from moments that don't really seem to funny yet somehow it appears when you need it most.

It's becoming very anxiety ridden for me to take Leah out in public.....at least around people that aren't aware of her situation.   So I was in Walmart the other day with her and sure enough as lots of people do, these two woman walked by, stopped, and cooed over Leah, her cute dress, shoes, and bow all the while my mind is begging them not to stay too long.....please don't notice that she doesn't smile.....please don't notice that something isn't quite right.....please for God sake don't ask me any questions about her.

And I can tell it's coming.  My protective superman jumps in and attempts to strategically maneuver the cart away from Busy Body 1 and Nosy Parker 2.....to no avail.

"Oooh look at your baby she is a doll.   (These statements I love....tell me how sweet she is....how pretty her blue eyes are.....or how cute her outfit is......tell me tell me tell me)  But it didn't stop there.   They proceeded to really look her over and start chatting with each other as if I didn't know that Leah wasn't normal.  Like I hadn't noticed that she doesn't smile, coo, or move around like other 6 mo olds.  So as my stomach is turning in knots, my heart rate a throb, I realize whats coming next.  "I noticed your baby isn't smiling...wow, she must just be really tired huh?  Her eyes do look pretty sleepy (I get this statement a lot anyway)  So in all my glory I said it.   I looked them in the eye and I said with a big smile on my face:  Yeah, you are right.  She was born 10 weeks early and she doesn't have a brain.  And it happened...my chance to escape opened right up as they started stumbling over their words and backing away. Satisfaction building itself a little home in my body.  Little miss Leah and I made our way to the towel section where I stood with what must of been the biggest smile on my face in a long time.   The look on those women's faces was priceless.  The kind of priceless that I will remember forever.   I picked Leah up and kissed her lovely fat squishy cheeks and laughed and my thought simply this:  It's going to be ok.

I leave you today with this:  Don't ask people you don't know, questions about their babies.  Don't ask them, how old they are, is she good, does she sleep well, etc etc.   Just don't do it.  I beg of you, simply say little things like, your baby is sweet....your baby is a doll.....love her bow....love those fat cheeks....and walk on.  It's not something I've ever seen in an etiquette book (oh yeah, I don't read etiquette books) but I'm beginning to think I need to write one.   And, it's not something I would have ever recognized myself if I weren't in this position.  But I can tell you from the bottom of my heart, don't ask people questions you don't know.... for families like us, you open a can of painful.


*Note:  This doesn't mean you can't ask me any questions.  I don't mind people I know asking about Leah and you can ask me anything.  I will answer you honestly.  Seems, I don't come with a filter.

4 comments:

  1. I don't come with a filter either. ;) I like that in a person.

    Good on you for putting it to those Wal Mart Bitties.

    Once, as a new mom, I made the rookie mistake of taking Johnny into Johnny's Tavern to pick up a pizza to take home. He was tiny, in his infant seat, and I just wasn't thinking. A) How was I going to carry him and the pizza. B) It was game day, and the place was loud and packed. DUH.

    I called Todd to come help me, and while I waited to pay for the pizza, some drunk sorority girl came over and said how cute he was and then said "Don't you think it's a little loud in here for his little ears?"

    I said, "No, he's deaf." and walked away. Johnny, of course, is not deaf, but it shut her up good. ;)

    Go get em girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep smiling and never "filter". Honesty is a virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, those questions and comments are hard. Since Tariku is from Ethiopia (dark skin) and I'm not (very light skin), people seem to think it's okay to touch him on the head - right where his shunt is! "Oooh, let me feel his hair!" and "What happened here?" (while touching his shunt) are common things we deal with. Since he can't talk, of course it must be okay to touch him and talk about him like that, right?! Infuriating! I just may blog about this. Thanks for the idea. :) Chin up - your daughter is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Angie!
    I love the fact that you don't have a filter, either! It's nice to know that if I do ask/say something that bothers you, you will let me know! I never want to make you uncomfortable! Little Leah IS a beautiful baby & I LOVE those chubby cheeks & sky blue eyes! Muah! :-)

    ReplyDelete