Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Her Name Is Leah

I find myself these days trying to relate everything to something.....anything.   Sometimes, I get myself so far off track I have forgotten how I even got there.  I was in a conversation the other day and while its nothing new to be zoned out at times, when this conversation was over, I had no idea not only of what was said but even what the general topic was.  My mind had drifted to Leah.

Leah, this little person who has been in my life now for 9 mo and 8 days.   Little Leah, the little wonder.   We have in the past month been to Children's Mercy in KC twice.   Once for a visit with a neurologist and once for an EEG.  How is it that your life goes from a vocabulary of football, volleyball, homework, supper, tv, and laundry to neurology, therapy, doctors, and disabilities?  It's like we were looking at a map and accidentally flipped the atlas from page 6 to page 26 and couldn't flip back.   What do you do?  You step forward no matter what's in front of you.

So many times, I find myself so uptight because I am trying so hard to figure all this out....and I can't.   Then, I look at Leah.   She day in and day out fights and she doesn't even know it.   She has to work harder at doing anything; at doing everything than anyone else.....and she does it.  I liken the monstrosity of her struggles to that of climbing Mt Everest and she is at the bottom, with no equipment, no protection, no experience. And she climbs.  She climbs everyday.  She might not get anywhere but she does it.  She works harder than anyone I know, not because she wants to, but because she has to.

She is a fighter, a miracle, a blessing.  She has worked harder in her 9 mo than I ever will.  Her name is Leah and tomorrow we're going to climb a mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment